We describe the case of a 6-year-old girl brought to the emergency department for the sudden onset of anticholinergic syndrome after the ingestion of a few home-made partially debittered lupine beans. She complained of blurry vision, headache, photophobia and nausea. No specific treatment was needed, and the symptoms resolved about 12 h after the exposure. Lupine beans are a popular and worldwide-diffused food. The bitter variety is rich in alkaloids harbouring anticholinergic activity and thus requires a debittering process before lupines can be eaten. Only four cases of acute toxicity, due to the ingestion of incompletely detoxified bitter lupines, have been reported in children so far; notwithstanding the small amount of lupines ingested, three of these cases were lethal. Conclusion: Acute anticholinergic syndrome can arise after the consumption of a wide range of exogenous substances including partially debittered lupine beans. Paediatricians should be aware of bitter lupine toxicity, recognize possible cases of intoxication, ensure a prompt and appropriate supportive treatment and provide appropriate information about their danger

Bitter lupine beans ingestion in a child: a disregarded cause of acute anticholinergic toxicity

DAVERIO, MARCO;CAVICCHIOLO, MARIA ELENA;DA DALT, LIVIANA
2014

Abstract

We describe the case of a 6-year-old girl brought to the emergency department for the sudden onset of anticholinergic syndrome after the ingestion of a few home-made partially debittered lupine beans. She complained of blurry vision, headache, photophobia and nausea. No specific treatment was needed, and the symptoms resolved about 12 h after the exposure. Lupine beans are a popular and worldwide-diffused food. The bitter variety is rich in alkaloids harbouring anticholinergic activity and thus requires a debittering process before lupines can be eaten. Only four cases of acute toxicity, due to the ingestion of incompletely detoxified bitter lupines, have been reported in children so far; notwithstanding the small amount of lupines ingested, three of these cases were lethal. Conclusion: Acute anticholinergic syndrome can arise after the consumption of a wide range of exogenous substances including partially debittered lupine beans. Paediatricians should be aware of bitter lupine toxicity, recognize possible cases of intoxication, ensure a prompt and appropriate supportive treatment and provide appropriate information about their danger
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11577/2677658
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 5
  • Scopus 11
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 8
social impact