Background: Laparoscopic Heller myotomy (HM) has gained acceptance as the gold standard of treatment for achalasia. However, 10–20% of the patients will experience symptom recurrence, thus requiring further treatment including pneumodilations (PD) or revisional surgery. The aim of our study was to assess the long-term outcome of laparoscopic redo HM. Methods: Patients who underwent redo HM at our center between 2000 and 2019 were enrolled. Postoperative outcomes of redo HM patients (redo group) were compared with that of patients who underwent primary laparoscopic HM in the same time span (control group). For the control group, we randomly selected patients matched for age, sex, FU time, Eckardt score (ES), previous PD, and radiological stage. Failure was defined as an Eckardt score > 3 or the need for re-treatment. Results: Forty-nine patients underwent laparoscopic redo HM after failed primary HM. A new myotomy on the right lateral wall of the EGJ was the procedure of choice in the majority of patients (83.7%). In 36 patients (73.5%) an anti-reflux procedure was deemed necessary. Postoperative outcomes were somewhat less satisfactory, albeit comparable to the control group; the incidence of postoperative GERD was higher in the redo group (p < 0.01). At a median 5-year FU time, a good outcome was obtained in 71.4% of patients in the redo group; further 5 patients (10.2%) obtained a long-term symptom control after complementary PD, thus bringing the overall success rate to 81.6%. Stage IV disease at presentation was independently associated with a poor outcome of revisional LHD (p = 0.003). Conclusions: This study reports the largest case series of laparoscopic redo HM to date. The procedure, albeit difficult, is safe and effective in relieving symptoms in this group of patients with a highly refractory disease. The failure rate, albeit not significantly, and the post-operative reflux are higher than after primary HM. Patients with stage IV disease are at high risk of esophagectomy.

Laparoscopic Revisional Surgery After Failed Heller Myotomy for Esophageal Achalasia: Long-Term Outcome at a Single Tertiary Center

Capovilla G.;Salvador R.
;
Provenzano L.;Valmasoni M.;Moletta L.;Pierobon E. S.;Merigliano S.;Costantini M.
2021

Abstract

Background: Laparoscopic Heller myotomy (HM) has gained acceptance as the gold standard of treatment for achalasia. However, 10–20% of the patients will experience symptom recurrence, thus requiring further treatment including pneumodilations (PD) or revisional surgery. The aim of our study was to assess the long-term outcome of laparoscopic redo HM. Methods: Patients who underwent redo HM at our center between 2000 and 2019 were enrolled. Postoperative outcomes of redo HM patients (redo group) were compared with that of patients who underwent primary laparoscopic HM in the same time span (control group). For the control group, we randomly selected patients matched for age, sex, FU time, Eckardt score (ES), previous PD, and radiological stage. Failure was defined as an Eckardt score > 3 or the need for re-treatment. Results: Forty-nine patients underwent laparoscopic redo HM after failed primary HM. A new myotomy on the right lateral wall of the EGJ was the procedure of choice in the majority of patients (83.7%). In 36 patients (73.5%) an anti-reflux procedure was deemed necessary. Postoperative outcomes were somewhat less satisfactory, albeit comparable to the control group; the incidence of postoperative GERD was higher in the redo group (p < 0.01). At a median 5-year FU time, a good outcome was obtained in 71.4% of patients in the redo group; further 5 patients (10.2%) obtained a long-term symptom control after complementary PD, thus bringing the overall success rate to 81.6%. Stage IV disease at presentation was independently associated with a poor outcome of revisional LHD (p = 0.003). Conclusions: This study reports the largest case series of laparoscopic redo HM to date. The procedure, albeit difficult, is safe and effective in relieving symptoms in this group of patients with a highly refractory disease. The failure rate, albeit not significantly, and the post-operative reflux are higher than after primary HM. Patients with stage IV disease are at high risk of esophagectomy.
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
REDO-MYOTOMY-2021-Journal_of_Gastrointestinal_Surgery.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Published (publisher's version)
Licenza: Creative commons
Dimensione 482.6 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
482.6 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11577/3393541
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 1
  • Scopus 3
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 4
social impact